If you enjoy music, singing, and traveling, you are missing a lot of fun if you have not yet been in any of the Ukulele Festivals in Australia. It is not necessary to have knowledge in music to enjoy the festivity the festival brings. But who can say no when invited in a jam filled with ukuleles? Ukulele – the guitar-like instrument with only four strings that is small and cute.
People around the world gather into these kinds of festivals. You will also find ukulele groups who regularly meet together. So, if you love traveling and meeting people, this may be the perfect place for you. Just bring your ukulele, and that should do the trick.
Since, Australia is well-known for Uke Festivals, I sorted out top 10 of them you should give a visit for the year 2017.
2nd Shoalhaven Heads Ukulele Festival
· The Shoalhaven Heads Ukelele Festival will be held this 29th of April, 2017. People are welcomed to join the fun and rock the beat with the 2nd Festival held in this community. The entrance will be through a gold coin which will be donated to Shoalhaven Heads Community Forum to fund projects within the village that are on show for all to see. There will be 16 ukulele groups performing in total which came from the different parts of the country including the locals of the community. Also do not miss their Bum Tree in the swimming pool grounds, the arboretum or the “bird airport” and enjoy the expanse of Seven Mile Beach. For more adventures, you can take a ride to Coolangatta Mountain on the infamous Big Foot. As you can see, the festival does not only offer a rock out of ukuleles but is also inviting everyone to enjoy the vicinity which will also rock your mind.
3rd NORFOLK ISLAND FESTIVAL (Autumn Festival)
25th to 30th of April 2017
· Due to the natural beauty and the Norfolk Pines encased with unique Polynesian mixture of culture, language, music and history and history, Norfolk Island is the best place to visit a ukulele festival. Since it is very popular to everyone, the Autumn Festival in Norfolk Island is already sold out as of to date. They are not only inviting ukulele players, but also musicians from different areas and levels. Trust that you will enjoy this Ukulele festival because they offer fun packed and rewarding company thrilled with the ambiance the venue gives.
DRUKE DANDENONG RANGES UKULELE FESTIVAL
20th to 21st May 2017
· Themed “A weekend of workshops, performances, a market and all things Ukulele”, you would not want to miss this Ukulele Festival. It will be a festival filled with workshops, gardens and market galleries. Everyone who loves to strum, hum, and jam is invited. This will be held at Emerald Primary School 4 Heroes Ave, Emerald, Victoria. What are you waiting for? Book now!
Ukulele Cruise Along
26th May 2017
·Ukulele Cruise Australia is a proud supporter of Blue Mountains Ukulele Festival and The Blue Mountains Ukulele Group. Enjoy a leisurely 7-day voyage along the Eastern Australian Seaboard on-board the Pacific Jewel. Combine this wonderful cruise with the exciting music of the ukulele. The cruise leaves Sydney on 26th of May and starts the cruise along. If you think ukulele is good enough, this is an even better way to enjoy the music we all love to hear.
5th MUFF Festival
24th to 25th June 2017
· C ome by car byke or boat, catch last ferry home spend the night camping under the stars. Savour the MUFF experience. Everyone loves the MUFF. The MUFF is a community-focused non-profit festival that is organised by Cox Country Club Inc.
5th ANNUAL HUSKISSON UKE MUSTER
24th June, 2017
· Club Husky will be hosting the 5th Annual Huskisson Uke Muster which consists of a daytime uke festival for players to perform to their supporters and other players plus a night concert featuring local bands. With the emphasis on fun, the festival includes a mix of ukulele players and singers of all levels. Expect to see a wide range of ages as well, from Primary School bands to senior citizens. There is no admission charge but a gold coin donation to assist with costs only.
Although other information is not yet disclosed, the date is confirmed. Admission is free. Blackboard performers are welcome. The Folk Redlands are a group that is willing to enlighten you to the writing instructions you need. Also, they mean to take your skills to the professional level. What are you waiting for? You may access their calendars online. Their conventions may also offer prizes of ukulele. Take your chance and come join their hippie fun.
THE CENTRAL COAST UKULELE FESTIVAL
23rd September to Sun 24th September 2017
· The Central Coast Ukulele Festival is unique in the sense that it lets people unite through their professionalism in ukulele. Be it youngsters or oldies, everyone can join in the fun. They are available in Memorial Park, and on Sunday at the Sails Stage at The Entrance. Offers for everyone are stalls, rides and free ukulele workshops throughout the weekend. So if you are pleased, you may come. Ukulele will be fun.
SPRUKE – Brisbane’s Ukulele Festival
29, 30 September to 1st October, 2017
· The Spruke –Brisbane’s Ukulele Festival is held biennially. The fun fact about the Spruke is they are volunteers from around the globe. And this year, their mission is to spread the love in the vicinity of Australia. If you haven’t heard by now, SPRUKE 2017 is a three-day event, Friday 29 September — Sunday 1 October. Ukulele enthusiasts and the uke-curious will come together to make music at jams, workshops, concerts, and open mics. Festival-goers can relax and indulge their passion in all things ukulele. A highlight of the festival is an extensive program of workshops which will feature headliners Ukulele Russ and Kyas Ryo teaching master classes in their individual playing styles.
5th UKULELE JAMboree
10th to 12thNovember 2017
· The Ukulele JAMboree is a weekend of ukulele jamming at Riverwood Downs in the beautiful Barrington Tops. There will be players from all over Australia and the world. Also, a blackboard stage is provided for those who want to perform. The event is free of charge although you will have to pay for your accommodation. Accommodation ranges from luxury to camping.
There are still a lot of Ukulele Festivals on set for 2017. But these ten are the most festive and the ones you should not miss. As Hawaiian as hula and surfing, the ukulele is spreading culture and smiles around the globe. And if before, ukulele is not widely accepted for conventions and concerts, the world now sees the uke through their eyes — as an instrument to be strummed, not scorned.